I often think of Kale as a winter vegetable- imagining it with warm roasted sweet potatoes, in kale chip form, and sautéed with a little agave and lemon (all of which are recipes that can be found linked below!). However, paired with this refreshing lemon poppyseed dressing, fresh avocado, and ripe strawberries, this winter vegetable can be transformed into a beautiful light and refreshing summer salad.
I have several kale recipes on this blog, however have never simply tried creating a toss salad with kale. Not sure what I have been doing with my life, but I can promise you, that a kale toss salad will not disappoint! I was very pleased with the result.
Thus, for entertaining, potlucks, or simply for the sake of your health- mix things up. Give this salad a try! Your body will thank you for those dark greens, and your stomach will thank you for the delicious flavor!
And if you’re interested in some other Kale recipes, check out these delicious options below! Veg out, it’s good for you.
- Kale Pesto with Lemon and Parmesan
- Quinoa and Parmesan Kale Patties
- Sweet Potato Pizza with Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Kale
- Agave Sautéed Kale with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Kale Chips
Love, A Rented Kitchen
- 4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
Lemon Poppyseed Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and use your hands to massage the leaves until the leaves are softer and darker in color.
- Top with strawberries, avocado, almonds, and feta cheese- toss gently.
- In a small separate jar, combine the dressing ingredients and shake until well mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Two Peas and Their Pod
- To make vegan, substitute in another vegan form of cheese, or simply omit the feta cheese!
- If you like this salad, check out these other ‘A Rented Kitchen’ recipes! (Recipe links found below!)