This time last year: Baked Sesame Tofu Sticks with a Peanut Ginger Dipping Sauce (2014)
Summer will be here before we know it, which always makes me crave new fresh delicious salad combos. Does that happen to you? Something about the change in weather just pulls me outside. Spring comes and all of the sudden I have a renewed interest to go play- exercising, gardening, and swiftly forgetting all of my responsibilities.
I love those nights of the year where the weather is good enough to eat outside, encouraging the meals to linger, and the pace to move slower. This meal is perfect for those spring and summer nights, and it is also perfect for your lunchbox, for leftovers, and for vegetarians and omnivore alike!
So, if you are looking for a delicious healthy meal, full of flavor, and full of nutrients, look no further! This dish pairs fresh vegetables, Italian dressing, and a little bit of curry, to make those lovely spring and summer nights taste even better.
I hope you like it as much as my family did 🙂
A Rented Kitchen
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- ½ – 1 large can black olives (depending on how much you like black olives!), quartered
- ½ bunch (about 8) asparagus
- ½ cup Edamame beans
- 1 large can artichoke hearts (water packed)
- 3 green onions
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Yellow pepper
- Sugar snap peas
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Avocado
- In a large pot, heat the water and rice until boiling. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook until the rice has absorbed all the water- about 40 minutes.
- Cut asparagus into one-inch pieces, and half the snap peas. Fill a medium sized pot with two inches of water, place a steaming basket over the water and steam the asparagus and snap peas over medium-high heat for three minutes. Immediately remove the vegetables from the heat and run cool water over them (This softens the vegetables, but keeps them crispy!)
- Prepare the remaining vegetables, omitting the avocado, by shelling the edamame beans, and chopping the artichoke hearts, green onions, and peppers. Combine said ingredients in large bowl.
- In a separate small dish, combine the Italian dressing and curry powder, and whisk until completely combined.
- Assemble: Add the rice to the vegetables, drizzle with the dressing, and top with avocado. Serve room temperature or warm, and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Like this dish? Check out these other delicious dishes from ‘A Rented Kitchen’ (Recipe links found below!):