This Time Last Year: Edamame Hummus (2013)
H-o-l-y C-o-W these cupcakes are SO good. Drop what you’re doing, yes, drop everything you’re doing, and make them. Make them now!
I had a huge paper due yesterday, so naturally, I went to the grocery store and got completely lost in an afternoon of baking. That’s very helpful for my sweet tooth and sense of joy, but less helpful for my paper…..woops.
If you were concerned, I did get my paper done and turned in on time- in between batches of these divine cupcakes. However, if these cupcakes had cost me my paper, it probably would have been worth it. They were that good.
The orange zest and juice in these muffins takes these muffins from normative to incredibly flavorful. The cream cheese frosting tops these cupcakes with moist citrusy tang, and the Blue Moon in this adds a slight hoppy honey tang.
So, good luck not eating them all in one setting. Consider yourself warned- it’s a real challenge!
Come back and see me 🙂 More recipes coming your way soon!
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zested (plus more for garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2/3 cup Blue Moon beer
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 376˚ F, and line either 1 mini muffin tin, or two normal muffin tins, with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, medium sized bowl, cream the butter with a hand mixer for one minute. Add the sugar and beat together for two minutes, or until smooth.
- One at a time, add the eggs to the sugar and butter, beating after each until smooth. Once fully incorporated, add the orange zest and vanilla until well combined.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the milk and beer.
- Combine the ingredients together, stirring the beer mixture and sugar mixture into the flour until fully incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick can come out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by creaming together the butter and cream cheese. Using a wooden spoon, stir the sugar, ½ cup at a time, until it has all been fully added.
- Add the orange juice to the frosting mixture, stir in thoroughly, and chill until ready to use.
- Once the cupcakes are room temperature, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using either a piping bag, or a ziplock bag with the corner tip cut off. Sprinkle with orange zest, serve, and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 24 mini cupcakes
- Source: Spoon Fok Bacon
- Like this recipe? Try these other delicious sweet treats from A Rented Kitchen (Recipe links found below!):