This time last year: Homemade Fresh Tomato Sauce with Basil, Mushrooms, and Balsamic Vinegar (2013)
I stumbled upon this recipe while looking for a good side dish to take to a potluck, and was immediately sold. Without taking up too much of you’re time, I’ll go ahead and get to the point- it was delicious!
Here are three reasons you should try this dish:
- FLAVA FLAVE! This dish is jam-packed with flavor. Between the tangy orange zest, the flavor punch in the chipotle peppers, and the refreshing cilantro, your taste buds will be in heaven.
- Time is of the Essence! I was able to whip this recipe together in the 15 minutes I had between a class and a meeting. Yes, it is to possible to make a side dish in the time it might take you to wait in line for your drink at Starbucks. All you need is a cutting board and a frying pan and you are good to go!
- All-Inclusive! Sharing a meal with others? This recipe is a great dish to make because it is accessible to most everyone- vegetarian, gluten free, low fat, high protein, low cholesterol, low sugar, etc. Want to make it vegan? Simply leave the cheese on the side and let people sprinkle that on themselves.
Not convinced yet? Stop wasting time and get cooking. In fifteen minutes you will be glad you did!
More recipes heading your way soon, so come back and see me 🙂
Lots of love,
This rented kitchen
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo (plus more to taste)
- 1 orange, Juice and zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled Queso Fresco
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic, and sauté until soft- about four minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the beans.
- Once onions are cooked, add the beans to the pan and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the chipotle peppers and orange zest and cook for one minute longer.
- Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and top with cilantro and queso fresco. Serve and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Whole Foods Market
- Like this recipe? Try these other delicious dishes from A Rented Kitchen (Recipe links found below):