I love a good salad for lunch or dinner. There seems to be a common misconception that a salad has to be a starter, and could not Possibly be filling enough or provide enough nutrients to stand as a meal by itself. While you do not need to prepare this dish as an entire meal, it can without a doubt be served that way. The beans provide great protein in this recipe, and mixed with the corn prove to be very filling. When I prepared this salad for friends recently I also made some corn bread muffins, which went with the southwestern theme and proved to be a huge hit in complementing this nutritious dish. So grab a plate, slow down for a minute, and bon appétit!
- 1 Head of Romaine lettuce
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1 purple onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 package shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbl water
- 2.5 Tbl extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1-3 tsp lemon juice (to taste! It can be strong!)
- 1 Tbl salsa
- Heat the beans and corn on medium low heat in a medium sized pot. Warm all the way through.
- Chop the onion and tomato into bite size pieces
- Wash lettuce and pat dry. Toss in a large bowl with onion and tomato. Add cheese.
- Top with warm beans and corn
- To prepare the dressing: Cut avocado in half and empty into a blender. Slowly add water, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, and salsa while thoroughly blending. Adjust salt and lemon to taste. If lemon or salt ever become too overpowering add another half of an avocado or more salsa.
Notes and Tips!:
- If you have left overs, I have good news! This salad keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. For the best results in storing leftovers, it is ideal if upon serving the salad, each individual portion is topped with corn, beans, and dressing, instead of mixing all the ingredients and dressing together initially. This will allow for any leftover lettuce to be kept fresh for a second meal if necessary. I would suggest storing the beans and corn, avocado dressing, and lettuce in separate containers. Leftover avocado dressing should be concealed. When serving for a second time, simply warm up the beans and corn in the microwave or on the stove, stir up the dressing one more time, and you’re ready to go! Southwestern Salad take 2!
- Source: A Rented Kitchen