I am a creature of habit in many ways. One of those ways is that I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every single day, no fail. My go-to oatmeal choice is oats with sliced banana and drizzled agave on top. It’s simple, incredibly delicious, and perfect for this time of year!
I love slipping out to my back porch while my roommates are sleep, bundled up in sweatshirts and long socks, to watch the steam rise up off of my warm tea and oatmeal.
I stumbled upon this scrumptious oatmeal recipe on a great vegan food blog, Oh She Glows!, and had to share it with you all. With fresh apple, cinnamon, and vanilla you will feel like you’re enjoying a decadent slice of warm apple pie in a healthy breakfast. A win-win situation if I’ve ever heard of one! I hope this holiday brings you with lots of peaceful back-porch moments of your own to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, like apple pie oatmeal, and to remember all we have to be thankful for.
- 1/3 cup regular oats
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 + 1/4 cups Skim or Almond Milk
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon agave + more for drizzling
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients, except the vanilla extract, in a medium sized saucepot and whisk well.
- Heat over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed and the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Once the mixture is complete, stir in the vanilla extract
- Top with an extra splash of milk, a drizzle of agave or maple syrup, and a pinch of cinnamon as desired.
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 1 serving
- Optional toppings: Graham cracker crumbs, chopped walnuts
- If you do not have flax seed, try chia seeds!
- Like oatmeal? Try my Baked Fruit and Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe or these Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups!
- Apple fan? Check out these Apple Pie Eggrolls and this Graham Cracker Crumb Fruit Dip!