On this day last year: Caramel Delight Chocolate Covered Pretzels (2012)
Well, I think it is safe to say I have found my new favorite muffin recipe!
I had to bake something for a birthday party recently, so in a very typical fashion, I found myself trolling the internet looking for some cooking inspiration.
That’s when I stumbled upon these pumpkin Nutella muffins, and Woah, they are a game changer!
I have baked and cooked with pumpkin numerous times. Pumpkin is an extremely versatile ingredient, pairing well with sweet tones as well as savory!
Want to see for yourself? Check out my Pumpkin Spice Bread with Streusel Topping or these Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts. Not interested in baked goods or sweets? Check out this Vegan Pumpkin Curry or my Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Roasted Rosemary! Seriously, like I said, pumpkin is versatile!
While I am well acquainted with pumpkin, Nutella is somewhat of a different story.
Some people consider Nutella a critical part of the food pyramid foundation. All signs (such as the chocolate section of my recipe page and my absurdly large sweet tooth) should point me to being on of those Nutella fanatic people, but for some reason I have never been a big Nutella user.
That might have just changed.
In the last three weeks, I have made six batches of these muffins. Wooooops.
In my defense however, I was doing some experimenting! I tried baking these mufffis with entirely white all-purpose flour, a combination of flours, all the way down the the other end of the spectrum, with entirely whole wheat flour. I found that all forms of flour combinations worked wonderfully with this recipe! The muffins stay moist and rich in flavor, and the texture differences were not noticeable. Thus, if you want to lean towards the healthier side, or if you have gluten free needs, feel free to substitute your flour out for something that works for you!
It turns out, pumpkin and Nutella are a match made in heaven.
- 3 1/3 cups flour* (all-purpose, whole wheat, gluten free, or any combination of those will work!)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F, and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. (Feel free to sub in Pumpkin Pie Spice for the other spices if needed).
- Once mixed, add the remaining ingredients, stirring until blended, and then fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Drop a teaspoon (give or take) of Nutella onto the top of each muffin, and swirl in with a toothpick.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin can be removed clean. (There may be some hot Nutella, which is fine. You do not want wet batter!)
Notes and Tips!:
- Yield: 36 muffins (Feel free to half the recipe if desired!)
- Source: Your Cup of Cake
- Like this recipe? Try these other delicious recipes from A Rented Kitchen (Recipe links below photos!)