If you have a nut allergy, or are a college student and don’t want to spend your entire pay check on pine nuts, pesto can be a sore subject. Buuut, I have good news! Check out this nut-free pesto recipe, for your tasting! Your tummy and wallet have never been so happy, I know.
I was inspired to make this kale pesto as a sauce for a delicious dinner of sweet potato ravioli . However, after enjoying all my raviolis I still had a good amount of pesto left and found a number of alternate delicious uses for pesto!
Check it out.
- A dollop of this pesto on a baked potato (yes please).
- Spread some of this pesto on a piece of toast, sprinkle with parmesan, and broil for 30 seconds. (YUM!)
- Fry an egg, and throw it on top of a piece of pesto-topped toast! (ok, yes.)
- Stirred into cooked pasta! (what’s not to love?)
See what I’m saying? This pesto recipe is so versatile, you won’t want to spend a dollar on sour cream, pasta sauce, or nuts ever again!
But above all, don’t forget to try this recipe with my favorite sweet potato ravioli. It’s a beautiful combination.
From my kitchen to yours, over and out.
Kale Pesto Ingredients
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper, a few grinds
- Wash the kale under very hot water to remove any critters and dirt (especially if from a garden or farmer’s market!). The kale should turn bright green.
- Spread each kale leaf out on a cutting board and use a paring knife to remove the ribs. You only need to worry about the largest stems- use your discretion for this.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until the pesto has reached your desired texture, about one minute, and is completely blended.
Notes and Tips!:
- Pesto Recipe Source: Shockingly Delicious
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for several days.
- Enjoy with my delicious Sweet Potato Ravioli pictured above!
- Like this recipe? Check out these other yummy snacks and dips below!