Vegan baking is the best. Why? Because there are no eggs in the batter, and thus no reason why you should not or cannot lick the bowl clean. Not like eggs usually stop me anyhow (probably dumb, I know), but at least now no one can accuse you of being absolutely crazy for wanting to eat the batter straight!
Another thing that’s the best? These brownies. Seriously. I have tried a lot of brownies in my day, and made a lot of brownies in my day. These guys are hands down my absolute favorite. They are rich, extremely moist, and seem more genuinely chocolatey than any prepared brownie mix you’ll ever try (thank you cocoa powder!) They also do not need to be redeemed with a scoop of ice cream like some brownies. (However, I’m always down for a scoop of ice cream!)
Give these guys a try, and I promise you you’ll never want to bake another brownie ever again.
- 2 ¼ cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup over ripe banana
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 340˚ F. Prepare an 11 x 7 inch (or relatively similar pan) by greasing lightly with olive oil and dusting with whole-wheat flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour through cocoa powder) and whisk together. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium-sized bowl, using a large spoon, mash the banana until there are no significant chunks.
- Add the olive oil, water, and apple cider vinegar to the bowl and whisk well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top looks cooked and the brownies are at your desired level of gooey versus cakey.
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Love Food Eat
- Making dessert for some vegans, or trying to go the vegan route yourself? Try topping off one of these warm brownies with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream! It is a perfectly creamy alternative to regular ice cream, and non-vegans won’t even know the difference!
- Love chocolate? Try these other recipes!: Double Chocolate Chip Brownie (and a Brownie S’more!), Chocolate Mint Puddle Cookies, and the World’s Best Cookie Bar!
- Want more vegan desserts? Try my Vegan Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting and Vegan Strawberry Oat Bars!