Skillets demand cornbread, at least that’s how I think about it- cornbread, brownies, and brussels sprouts. Mmmmhmmm.
My boyfriend and I switched to a vegan diet for lent, however diet definitely could not stop us from enjoying some cornbread! The good news is, cornbread is an incredibly simple vegan recipe. The maple syrup in this recipe adds just the right amount of moisture, while the jalapeno and whole corn kernels adds extra flavor and texture! My boyfriend and I love pairing this fresh cornbread with our favorite Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing, however no matter what you pair cornbread with, you can’t go wrong. That’s my theory at least J
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (or to taste)
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and lightly grease a cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven while the oven preheats to warn up the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and soy milk, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, diced jalapeno peppers, and corn.
- Add the lemon juice and soy milk to the flour mixture. Mix well, and then add the remaining liquids (vegetable oil and maple syrup).
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 25 minutes, or until light brown.
- Eat and enjoy!
Notes and Tips!: