When you hear the word “vegan,” I am guessing you’re first thought is not rich, delicious, fluffy, desserts. I know a lot of people often just think of rabbits, lettuce, and all the cheese they can’t eat.
My boyfriend Brian and I are vegan for lent, which means vegan food for another five weeks. During that time, I am going to throw a lot of vegan recipes your way, and I am really excited about it! I want people to be able to appreciate how truly delicious and satisfying a vegan diet can be.
My first proof of this delicious and satisfying diet is these heavenly Lemon Cupcakes. Seriously, they’re divine. And if you’re worried about vegan baking, don’t be! Vegan baking is a breeze. There is a substitute for every dairy based ingredient- whether it simply is a vegan form of the same product, (such as vegan cream cheese or vegan butter), or an entirely new substitute (such as apple sauce and chia eggs)!
So, repeat after me: “rich, delicious, fluffy desserts.” Now get baking!
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice/extract
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
Lemon Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the over to 350˚F and fill two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine the soy milk and vinegar, whisking together in a large bowl. Set this aside so that the soy has time to curdle.
- Mix together the dry ingredients- flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the oil, sugar, vanilla, almond, and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture, beating well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Fold in the lemon zest.
- Fill each cupcake liner with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Wait for the cupcakes to cool completely and ice.
- In a small bowl, cream the shortening and margarine with a handheld mixer until combined.
- Add the sugar in ½ cup increments, adding a splash of lemon juice after each addition. Beat with the mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, until smooth, creamy, and fluffy.
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: Bake and Destroy
- I iced these cupcakes by using an icing kit, which consisted of an icing bag and a scalloped metal tip. If you have one of these icing kits, insert the metal tip into the plastic bag, cut the bag around the bottom of the tip, and fill the bag with icing. Then slowly and evenly, ice the cupcake, starting on the edge and working towards the center. If you do not have an icing bag with a metal tip, you could try using a thin knife to ice the cupcakes, or simply cut the tip off of a Ziploc bag, fill it with icing, and go from there!
- Check out these other scrumptious desserts from ‘a rented kitchen’!: Vegan Strawberry Oat Bars, Chocolate Stout Cake, Caramel Apple Cake with Apple Cider Frosting, and this delicious Fresh Fruit Dessert Tart!