So, I’m in disbelief that I have had this blog for 9 months and this is my first tempeh recipe. Whut?! I literally just had to search “tempeh” in the search bar to confirm this. I actually do not cook tempeh all that often, that is not why the lack of tempeh on my blog is surprising. The reason it is surprising is that tempeh is a fabulous meat substitute for vegetarians that everyone should know about and I cannot believe I haven’t shared it with you already!
So here’s the tempeh scoop. Tempeh is made from soy beans- whole soy beans. It has a slightly nutty flavor that many people think tofu lacks. Tempeh is very high in fiber and is actually much firmer than tofu! Tempeh is great grilled, marinated, crumbled, pretty much any way you like it!
In this recipe, the tempeh should be marinated for a few hours at least, and then stir-fried for a quick, nutritious, and filling meal. Give it a try! It’s magical stuff.
And don’t miss the other tacos in this series, Let’s Taco’bout it!
Day One: Spiced Black Bean and Corn Tacos
Day Two: Island Tacos
Day Three: Veggie Tacos
Avocado-Lime Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ Tablespoons salsa
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Gracious sprinkling of dry minced onion
Tempeh Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 6-ounce block tempeh, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon barbecue seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small avocado
- 6 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
Taco Ingredients (optional):
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (for sautéing tempeh)
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese (suggested: pepper jack, if vegan omit)
- Chopped lettuce
- To prepare the tempeh: combine the olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue seasoning, and cumin in a medium sized bowl. Whisk together.
- Cut the tempeh into small cubes and toss in the marinade until well coated. Transfer the tempeh and marinade into a shallow dish or Tupperware, and allow to continue marinating for a minimum of 2 hours and up to a day.
- Sauté the tempeh cubes in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until brown and crispy.
- To make the avocado- lime sauce: combine the ingredients in a blender and mix until completely blended. Add flavors or additional spices as desired.
- To assemble tacos: toast the tortillas for a few minutes and top with lettuce, cheese, salsa, sautéed tempeh, and the avocado-lime sauce. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!: