I really enjoy doing series on this here blog. A series means I have to think ahead at least a week in advance, which means I only have to go to the grocery store once (as opposed to a billion time per week). That’s a plus. I also would like to imagine that a series is more engaging for you, the viewer. My hope is that if you know a series is underway, you may feel inclined to check back the next day and see what the next post is! That’s my hope at least.
In the almost nine months this blog has existed, I have done two, week-long series. The first series was “Five Summer Treats to Beat the Heat,” and the second series was “Five Days of Appetizers for the Holidays!.” This week, as you may have guessed, I am starting a new series! The title is, drumroll please,… “Let’s Taco’bout it.” (funny, right?? haha)
Every few days I will be posting a new vegetarian taco recipe, every single one different than the last. There will be five vegetarian taco recipes posted in the end, so make sure you catch all five! To kick things off, here’s my favorite, jazzed up, Spiced Black Bean and Corn Tacos. Hope you like them!
- 2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon dry minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 6- 12 corn tortillas
- Suggested toppings: chopped cilantro, diced tomato, shredded cheese, salsa
- Add the black beans, corn, and 2 Tablespoons of water to a medium sized pot.
- Gently stir in the spices and lemon juice to the black beans and corn. (If you stir too much, your beans and corn may start to look more like delicious tasting refried beans!)
- Place the corn tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave the tortillas for 15-30 seconds to warm them up and prevent them from tearing.
- Fill each tortilla with a few spoonfuls of the black bean and corn mixture, and top as desired! Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Good news! Mission Corn tortillas and taco shells are 100% gluten free. I cannot promise about other taco shell brands, so if you are gluten free, look for Mission corn tortillas in your local grocery store!
- These leftover beans and corn make for an excellent Mexican salad! Simply warm them up and throw over a bed of lettuce. Add a few tablespoons of salsa in place of your salad dressing and you just got two meals out of one. Good work, good work.
- Vegan? Use soy crumbles instead of cheese, or just omit it all together!
- Like this recipe? Check out my Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing and these delicious Southwestern Egg Rolls! Either way, you can’t go wrong.