I have somewhat of a theme going on- patties. I just noticed this, and I’m not sure what it is about a good patty, but I am definitely a fan! It all started out with the Quinoa Burger, and then there were the Crispy Black Bean Fritters with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce. And here we are at take three with these fantastic Quinoa and Parmesan Kale Patties!
The best thing about this meal is that there are two best things. 1) This meal is extremely healthy for you! Kale and quinoa are loaded with phytochemicals and nutrients that your body needs and craves. That alone is reason enough to go buy the ingredients right now. 2) These little guys are delicious and can be dressed up beautifully with avocado slices, lime, cilantro, salsa, or soy sauce! Your whole family is going to love them. I’ve been munching on them the last few days, warming up a patty whenever I get hungry, and I promise you it’s worth it. Get some more greens in your diet, Try these Quinoa and Parmesan Kale Patties and do something new. Sometimes mixing it up is just what you need!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2-4 Kale leaves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs*
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, salsa, garlic oil, Braggs Amino Acid Spray, Soy sauce
- Combine 1 cup of dry quinoa with 2 cup of water in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- Prepare the kale by rinsing 2-4 large leaves, and then cutting the leaf from the stem. Chop or tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces and place them in a steamer basket. Fill a large pot with 2-3 inches of water and heat at medium-hot heat. Place the streamer basket in the pot, over the water. Cover the steamer basket with the pot lid and steam for 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, eggs, parmesan, sliced onions, spices, kale, and breadcrumbs. Mix well so that the moisture from the eggs is evenly absorbed.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using your hands or a ¼ measuring cup, scoop batter onto the frying pan in the shape of patties.
- Cook each patty for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm and top with slices of avocado slices, salsa, soy sauce, cilantro, Braggs Amino Acid spray, or lemon juice if desired.
Notes and Tips:
- If you’re gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs! I used Italian flavored.
- These patties keep well! Store them in an air-tight container, microwave 2 for 1 minute, and enjoy!
- I tried these patties with avocado slices, sprinkled cheese, salsa, soy sauce, and Braggs (not all at the same time!) and each combination was delicious!
- Source: Yummy Supper
- Want more kale in your life? Try these Baked Kale Chips or this Sweet Potato Pizza with Caramalized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Kale!