I swear I am not someone who only eats foods that looks tiny and cute. However, between these delicious zucchini bites and the mini okra frittatas cups I made last week, my plates have been looking pretty adorable recently. One of the great things about cooking in a mini muffin tin is that whatever you prepare can be used perfectly as an appetizer or makes for a real cute entrée. These zucchini bites are also incredibly easy to prepare! They smell like tater tots in the oven and are nearly impossible to stop eating once you start. Give these healthy little guys a try! They’re cute and delectable- a win-win in my book!
- 1 cups zucchini, grated (one medium- large zucchini)
- 1 egg
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup cheese (cheddar or Parmesan work the best)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray- be thorough!
- Rinse the zucchini and cut off both ends.
- Grate the zucchini onto a palate. Use a dishtowel to squeeze the excess water out- similar to squeezing water out of tofu or frozen spinach. Spend several minutes in this step- if the zucchini retain too much water, the centers will be soggy.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl, stirring until completely mixed.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top with a scoop of the zucchini mix.
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes, or until the top is slightly brown and set. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips!:
- Source: The Curious Country Cook
- Yield: 15 mini muffins
- I suggest trying some bread crumbs with some flavor or seasoning- like Italian bread crumbs!
- These keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Microwave a few and you’ll have yourself a healthy and satisfying snack!
- For a gluten free option try gluten-free friendly flour such as coconut flour, almond flour, OR you can try substituting cooked cauliflower, potato flakes, or quinoa.
- If you like this recipe- try my Parmesan Zucchini Chips!