Welcome to July! Hard to believe that the summer is flying by this quickly. To no one’s surprise, it looks like another steamy day here in Viriginia. But have no fear, I have another quick treat to help cool you off in this stifling heat. These guys are one of my absolute favorite summer snacks- they’re chocolate, fruity, and refreshingly cold. Give them a try! It’s a great way to use up a few bananas before they go bad, and a healthy snack that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
- 1-3 bananas
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 Tablespoon milk (optional)
- Peel the banana and slice into several pieces- each about ½ an inch thick.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a medium sized sauce pan over medium- low heat, stirring constantly. (I added a tablespoon of milk to help soften it up, but that is optional)
- Once the chocolate is completely melted remove it from the stove top. If you keep the chocolate over heat too long it will lose that smooth consistency and burn.
- Using a spoon, dip each banana piece into the chocolate and coat completely.
- Transfer each banana bite to either a baking sheet or a piece of Tupperware covered in wax paper. If you place the banana bites in a piece of Tupperware, stack the banana pieces in between wax paper sheets to prevent the pieces from freezing to one another.
- Freeze and enjoy the next day
Notes and Tips:
- This recipe is an excellent way to use up bananas that are starting to fade. If your bananas get soft or spotty but you don’t want to hold onto them long enough to make banana bread- use them for this! Once they’ve been frozen you’ll never know that it once was a soft banana.
- Adjust the chocoalte amount as desired based on the number of bananas you use. If you plan to use 3 or more, or only one, you may want to melt more or less. And if you have left over melted chocolate, don’t throw it away! Make chocolate covered pretzels and freeze them too! They’re addicting.
- For a lighter version- lose the chocolate completely! Simply peel your banana, wrap it whole in a piece of aluminum foil, freeze, and enjoy the next day! Waaa la! A banana popsicle! Do note however that the longer you leave a banana freezing the less flavor it has, so I recommed freezing a banana for a snack intended for the next few days.